Sunday, July 21, 2013

MLA's Week: July 3 and 4



A snapshot of some of the talking points from the North Coast MLA Jennifer Rice, during this week's proceedings of the Legislature.

The representative for the North Coast made her debut speech in the Legislature on July 3rd in the afternoon session, outlining some of her background and a thumbnail sketch of the riding she was elected to represent.

"Firstly, I'd like to recognize that we're on the traditional territory of the Songhees First Nation. Thank you for the opportunity to present today. It is  such an honour to be standing here and speaking today. This is certainly nothing close to what I envisioned doing when asked: "What do you want to be when you grow up?" 

 As a child, I dreamed of being a firefighter and a police officer. I also dreamed of being the first pro bass fisherwoman. No doubt I will be fighting a lot of fires, and I will certainly be seeking justice, and I will continue my work protecting fish and fish habitat in this new job. 

I thank the voters of North Coast for providing me the privilege to represent them in this House. It truly is an honour, and I am proud that I am the first elected female MLA for the North Coast. I commit to fighting tooth and nail to make sure North Coast voices are heard here in Victoria." --MLA Rice from the Legislature Record July 4

You can review her entire speech to the legislature from the Legislature Record it starts just above the 1735 mark on the right hand side.  You can view the presentation from the July 3rd Afternoon session Video Archive at the 17:35 mark on the clock at bottom right.

You can review our past weekly reviews from our Legislature archive page.

There is more background on the North Coast MLA available from our Legislature home page.

No comments:

Post a Comment