Monday, December 2, 2013

Rampage extend winning streak to three in a row

A third period explosion of goals, sent the assembled 625 in attendance home happy from the Jim Ciccone Civic Centre on Saturday night.

An evening for points gathering, that provided the Prince Rupert Rampage with  their third victory in a row and fourth of the season, a 5-1 defeat of the struggling Houston Luckies.

Saturday night's match up was relatively even affair through the first two periods, with the Rampage opening the night up with a Jordan Weir goal at 7:10 of the first period, Weir's marker came with assists from Kendall Mossini, and Jeff Coolin.

That Rampage lead would hold into the second period, despite a Rampage parade to the penalty box, which saw the Prince Rupert side spending eight of the twenty minutes serving penalties.

The Luckies battled back in the second, bringing the game to a draw at the ten minute mark of the period, a goal which set the stage for the wild third period to come.

The Rampage opened up the floodgates for scoring at 7:18, when Gavin Harburn scored his first goal of the season, a marker picked up with assist from Brock Ward.  Just nine seconds later the Rampage had a two goal lead, when Devin Palmer picked the third Rampage goal of the night, assisted by Jared Meers.

The Rampage scoring picked up the pace with a pair of power play opportunities late in the game, with Brock Ward scoring near the sixteen minute mark with assists from Jared Meers and Craig Munro.

Three minutes later Prince Rupert scored their final goal of the night, with Jeff Coolin firing off the last goal of the game, Gavin Harburn picking up the helper  at 19:04.

The Luckies clearly let their frustrations get the better of them in the final frame, collecting a string of minor and major penalties in addition to a pair game ejections. All of it adding to a fairly full stats sheet by the time the final horn would go off.

Overall through the three periods of play Houston was assessed 58 minutes of penalties on 19 infractions, while the Rampage served 23 minutes of penalties on 11 penalty calls.

Warren Hansen faced 22 shots in the Prince Rupert net, with only the second period marker from the Luckies there to tarnish his perfect night in the net.

Over at the Houston end, Brock Henrickson was tasked with facing down the Rampage attack, by the end of the game he had faced 38 shots on the night.

The full report from Saturday's game can be found on the official summary here.

With the win the Rampage, Prince Rupert has climbed out of the CIHL West basement, with a 1 point lead over the Terrace River Kings, just four behind the Luckies.

Terrace however, may yet be the team in the driver's seat for a late season push, having played just 7 games thus far in the CIHL season, compared to the 11 of the Rampage and 10 that Houston have played so far in 2013-14.

The Rampage will look to extend their winning ways on Saturday night, when the division leading  Kitimat Ice Demons return to the Jim Ciccone Civic Centre, puck drop is 8 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment