Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Ocean Centre Scene no longer in hands of RCMP, as Mounties provide for third update on Monday incident

The third update from the Prince Rupert RCMP was released this afternoon providing closure of sorts towards the investigation into the events of Monday morning at the Ocean Centre. 

With the local detachment noting that as of this afternoon the business mall in downtown Prince Rupert had been released back to the managers of the facility.

As that investigation had continued today the mall had remained closed to the public as had  many of the offices and services available there.

Today's update also provided a review of some of the out of town resources that the RCMP had brought into the city to assist the local detachment members with the investigation.

The information release opened with a short review of the facts of the incident, though keeping to their policy in support of the family,  no names were released related to the events.

"The police investigation has determined that at approximately 8:30 AM a 44-year-old man entered the mall in the 200 block of 3rd Ave West with a firearm. The male shot a 52-year-old female and then turned the gun on himself. 

Despite the lifesaving measures of first responders the woman succumbed to her injuries at the scene. The man was transported to the Prince Rupert Regional Hospital with life threatening where he also succumbed to his injuries. 

The man and woman were known to each other, the preliminary findings found that the incident was isolated and there are no outstanding suspects at this time. 

 At this time the investigation is still ongoing and the RCMP are working closely with several partner agencies to advance the investigation. 

Additional resources such as Major Crime, Regional GIS and a Trauma Support team are in Prince Rupert to assist the team. 

At this time collection of evidence at the scene has been completed and the Ocean Centre Mall has been released back to management." -- Constable Brody Memirch Prince Rupert RCMP

Staff Sergeant Jagdev Uppal, also provided the condolences of the detachment for those in the community that had been impacted by the Monday incident.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family members of everyone effected by this tragedy as Prince Rupert is a tight knit community and this event has taken a toll on everyone"

Last night Prince Rupert Mayor Herb Pond spoke to the tragic circumstances as part of Monday's City Council Session.

Update: On Tuesday the province issued a statement related to the events of Monday, one that shared condolences and more details, including the employment of the victim, who worked for the Ministry of Children and Family Services.

No comments:

Post a Comment