Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Rampage jump to 2-0 start with road victory in Terrace

Two games in and the Prince Rupert Rampage are finding the start of the CIHL season much to their liking, the Rhinos picked up win number two on the year on Saturday, a 4-2 victory over the Terrace River Kings at the Ice Arena in Terrace.

The night started off as a tight affair with no scoring through the first twenty minutes of play and only a pair of penalties both midway through the opening frame, something that did not indicate the intensity of the final forty minutes that was to come.

The hosts got off to a fast start in period two, taking a 1-0 lead within the first four minutes of play, but the Rampage answered quickly as Hayden Long scored on the power play picked up the equalizer two minutes later with assists from Tyler Ostrom and Kale Burns, from there the visitors took charge of the game, scoring three more goals in succession.

The second Rampage goal came late in the second with Jean Luc-Fournier teaming up with Jordan Venditelli to get the go ahead goal before the break.

The Ramapge came out fast in the third with Ryan Stace-Smith scoring in the first minute of play with Cole Atchison gaining the assist, while Jared Meers had an unassisted marker to make it a 4-1 lead just before the four minute point of the final period.

The three goal lead would hold through most of the third, with the hometown River Kings finally getting back on the score sheet with six minutes to go in the final period. The Rampage would hold off any remaining attack from the Terrace squad to hold onto the win through some spurts of nasty play.

The rough play actually had its start in the latter stages of the second period, with the Rampage assessed a string of Minors and Double minors and a misconduct to Craig Munro before the period would end.

Things didn't settle down much in the final twenty minutes, with Fighting majors  and game misconducts handed out within the first four minutes.

The refs appear to have had enough by that point of the game with both the River Kings Brett Downie and Jared Carter from the Rampage banished from the game, while a parade of minor penalties would bring the game to an end through the final ten minutes.

All told the Rampage held the majority of the time served in a penalty box on Saturday assessed 35 minutes on 13 infractions, while the River Kings served 19 minutes on 9 penalty calls.

Devin Gerrits claimed the victory in the Rampage net making 30 saves on 32 shots, while Patrick Leal was tagged with the loss, with the Rampage finding success on four occasions of their 34 shots on the Terrace net.

You can review the full statistical review of the night here.

The two teams will renew acquaintances this Saturday at the Jim Ciccone Civic Centre, as the Rampage put their undefeated streak on the line in front of what should be another large home side crowd. Puck drop Saturday is 7PM

You can find more notes on the Rampage and the CIHL from our archive page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment