Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Fairview incident leaves Chinese ship with minor damage, departure delayed

The Xin Shanghai remains in Prince Rupert while repairs continue on
the vessel's navigational antenna

(photo from the website)

The journey of the Xin Shanghai has found the Cosco line container vessel extending its stay in Prince Rupert for a bit longer than originally planned, that while work takes place on repairs to the Hong Kong flagged vessel, after an incident on May 1st alongside the dock at the Fairview Container Terminal.

The vessel with capacity for close to 10,000 TEU's reportedly suffered the damage after an incident involving a crane at Fariview, which a number of marine industry newsletters described  as damage affecting its communication equipment.

The Prince Rupert Port Authority referred all inquiries related to the incident to DP World,  with  Angela Kirkham from DP World providing some background on the situation today, confirming the contact with the vessel's navigational antenna.

" DP World can confirm that yesterday at approximately 1:46 pm local time May 01, 2018, minor contact occurred between a Prince Rupert Fairview Container Terminal quay crane and the navigational antenna of the docked Xin Shanghai vessel. 

The contact occurred during the repositioning of the crane, after cargo had already been unloaded. 

 As a result of the contact, repairs to the vessel’s antenna will be made prior to the departure of the Xin Shanghai. The incident has had no other impact to Fairview container terminal operations. "

The Port of Prince Rupert ships movements listings indicates that the Xin Shanghai won't be departing Prince Rupert until May 3rd , though as the DP World statement indicates, terminal operations have not been affected by the situation.

It's the second time this week that DP World's Fairview operations have made the news, last Thursday work was halted at the container port after reports of a suspicious odour on the work site.

As part of the response Prince Rupert Fire/Rescue were dispatched to investigate but did not discover the source of the incident.

The port returned to full operations shortly after that investigation.

Further monitoring of the area took place on Friday, with empty containers the apparent source of the smell.

For more items related to developments at the Fairview Terminal see our archive page here

To return to the most recent blog posting of the day, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment