Monday, November 10, 2014

Rampage drop two during journey to the Cariboo

The Prince Rupert Rampage will be coming back to the North Coast a little further down the West Division standings this week, that after a pair of losses on their weekend in the Cariboo.


Prince Rupert was in Williams Lake for a Saturday night match up with the high flying Stampeders, who jumped out to an early lead and never looked back.

Williams Lake picked up two goals in the first period another two in the second and brought their total to five by the first five minutes of the third.

All of which left the Rampage in a fairly deep hole to the start of their month long road trip.

And while the Prince Rupert squad offered up a bit of push back in the third, they in the end came up short against the still undefeated Stampeders.

Jared Meers provided the full offensive push for Prince Rupert on Saturday, his first goal of the night coming at the 9 minute mark of the third, with assists going to Craig Munro and Cole Atchison.

Meers scored again as the 16 minute mark approached, his second goal of the game assisted by Munro once again, with Greg Sheppard also contributing a helper.

The two goals helped to claw back some of the deficit, but in the end the Stampeders knuckled down and held off any late game plans, taking the 5-2 win by the end of the game.

The lack of goals didn't mean that the Rampage weren't getting chances, as the summary on the night highlights,  Prince Rupert out shot the Stampeders on the night, firing 37 shots at Justin Foote in the Williams Lake net, the Stampeder goaltender rising to the occasion to shut down the Prince Rupert attack.

With the Rupert squad taking to the offence, Williams Lake took advantage of their time in the Rampage end of the rink, leaving Jarrod Hildebrand to face down the Stampeder attack facing 35 shots, with five finding their mark for the Stampeder win.

Things slowly unravelled on the penalty front as the game progressed, as the teams split two penalties in the first period, increasing to five penalties in the second with the Rampage serving the extra two minutes.

All of which led to a busy third period for the officials as the two teams exchanged a number of unpleasantries.

On the night, Prince Rupert served 14 minutes on 7 infractions, while the hometown Stampeders were in the penalty box for 24 minutes on 8 infractions.

The full account of Saturday night's action can be reviewed from the scoring summary here.


The physical play would be even more present for the Rampage on Sunday, with penalties once again prominent as they wrapped up their weekend with a Sunday afternoon session with the Quesnel Kangaroos.

That was a matchup which saw the Rampage coming up on the short end of a goal filled 9-6 loss to the home side.

Things started out fairly sedate for the Sunday afternoon skate, with but three penalty calls in the first two periods, providing for a pace of play which saw both teams successfully taking advantage of scoring opportunities for the first forty minutes.

Prince Rupert found goals from Craig Munro, Jordan Aubree and Tomas Robinson in the first, timely markers that kept the Rampage close to the Kangaroos with a first period score of 4-3 Quesnel.

The second period saw the Kangaroos put some distance between themselves and their guests, as Quesnel picked up four more markers in the middle frame, answered twice by the Rampage with Jared Meers and Craig Munro collecting goals before the teams went to the dressing room for the second period break.

With an 8-5 third period lead, Quesnel turned towards some shut down hockey, with a bit of the nasty thrown into the mix to hold off any ideas for a Ramapge comeback.

Elbowing, Cross Checking and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties made for the bulk of a busy third period for the officials, much of it in the first six minutes of the final period.

With a man advantage the Rampage chipped away at the lead in the early stages of the final period, as Cole Atchison added to the score sheet for Prince Rupert.

However, the Kangaroos answered that goal with one of their own fifty seconds later, the last of the scoring plays on way to the 9-6 victory by the final buzzer.

The last ten minutes found frustrations boiling over as Jordan Aubree got into a scrap with the Stampeders Waylon Heureux, the result of their work being a Fighting majors and game misconducts to put a wrap on the night's events.

For all of the physical play of the third, on the night the scoresheet wasn't all that hard to read, with the Rampage assessed 11 minutes of penalties on 5 infractions, while the Kangaroos served 17 minutes of penalty time on 8 infractions.

Jarrod Hidebrandt had six and half minutes of work in the Rupert nets facing six shots and allowing there goals during his time in the nets, with Jordan Vanderweil who was used for fifty three minutes tagged with the lost.  He faced 38 shots, with six Quesnel markers finding the twine.

The full scoring summary for Sunday afternoon's game can be found here.

The Ramapge now have a week off to rest up from the effects of the long trek into the Cariboo.

A return to the road is again on the itinerary for the Prince Rupert squad, with a weekend doubleheader on the schedule for November 22 and 23rd in Smithers.

For more items on the Prince Rupert Rampage and other developments with the CIHL see our archive page here.

For CIHL results, summaries and other links see our Results page here.


No comments:

Post a Comment